[gdal-dev] How files are handled in OGR / GDAL

Mikhail Tchernychev misha at mail.geometrics.com
Tue Mar 1 12:29:21 EST 2011

Hello List,

I could probably figure it out from the source, but I would apprecaite
if someone could point me in the right direction.

The question is: does GDAL / OGR loads the file in the memory when it
opens in or it just keeps reference to the actual file

Say if I open it, process it etc

hDS =OGROpen  <http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr__api_8h.html#123bb02ac8c5cfe143e132f627531125>("point.shp", FALSE, NULL );

and then do (without closing)

  poLayer->ResetReading  <http://www.gdal.org/ogr/classOGRLayer.html#ad0f2cd7f0587584b8f382c6a913583c>();

and process again

would it actually trigger re-reading file from the disk or not?

In other words does OGR creates complete memory image for the file or
just reads actual file when it needs something?

Thank you
Mikhail

<FONT face=  "Arial" size=  "-1">
PLEASE NOTE: This message, including any attachments, may
include privileged, confidential and/or inside information. Any
dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete
it from your system. Information provided via electronic media
is not guaranteed against defects including translation and
transmission errors. The company accepts no liability for any

Geometrics Inc.
2190 Fortune Drive
San Jose, CA 95131 USA
</FONT>