[gdal-dev] Calculate footprints of shapefiles

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 16 20:15:50 EDT 2011

> thanks for the hints. So a sort of Union operation seems to be necessary. I need to check how fast that is with OGR on larger shapefiles (I want to store in PostGIS just the footprint, not the full geometry collection). The Convex Hull could be a good alternative to a simplified boundary.

it depends on your shapes -- if you have a very concave shape, a convex
hull can be a poor representation.

You might try simplifying before the Union - that would make the Union
faster.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov