[gdal-dev] Re: Fwd: merging shapefiles larger than 4GB

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue May 3 00:19:47 EDT 2011

Brian Wilson <brian <at> wildsong.biz> writes:

> I am afraid you are out of luck, the shapefile format restricts its size to 32
bit. See bytes 24-27http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShapefileEven if the SHP part
was not so restricted, I bet the DBF part is.

Actually the SHP part is setting the limit. DBF part can be much bigger and I
have myself one with 32 GB. See also http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3236

Spatialite has worked fine for me as a target when merging shapefiles but only
up to about 8 GB file size. After that appending new data became too slow. It
was a long time ago and gdal Spatialite driver may be better now.

-Jukka Rahkonen-