[gdal-dev] Geocentric 9603

mario santos serrano mario_mazado at hotmail.com
Fri May 6 08:56:28 EDT 2011

Hello everyone!!

I converted a DXF file to a shapefile using 'ogr2ogr' command. When I use the "-t_srs" parameter the system tells me: "Can't transform coordinates, source layer has no coordinate system. Use -s_srs to set one."

The command '-s_srs' override source SRS.  What is the difference between '-s_srs' and '-a_srs' command? What is the exact meaning of "Assign an output SRS"? I don't understand that.

I use the '-s_srs' command and when I overlay the shapefile over a map,the adjustment isn´t very good with the map, so I must make a geographic transformation. I get that transformation thanks to 'ProjectionUtility' (ArcView). Its name is Geocentric[9603], ED_1950_TO_WGS_1984_13, POSC Code:8045.

I need to make this transformation automatically. How can I make this transformation using 'ogr2ogr'? Is it possible?

Thank you very much