[gdal-dev] gdal_array not found in Python

Gregory Yetman gyetman at ciesin.columbia.edu
Mon May 9 15:51:44 EDT 2011

Hi,

I've installed GDAL 1.8 and have it (mostly) working with Python 2.7.1.
I can import all modules from osgeo except gdal_array. There is a
gdal_array.py file in the site-packages directory with the other modules.

I'm using the binaries (for windows) from here:

http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-x64-gdal-1-8-mapserver-5-6.zip

I get the error message below only when I try and import gdal_array:

 >>> from osgeo import gdal_array
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdal_array.py", line 24, in
<module>
     _gdal_array = swig_import_helper()
   File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdal_array.py", line 16, in
swig_import_helper
     import _gdal_array
ImportError: No module named _gdal_array

I have numpy installed, not sure if that's a requirement or not. Any
suggestions would be appreciated!

TIA,

Greg

--