[gdal-dev] [Projections] EPSG, proj.4, .prj files

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Wed May 11 14:20:51 EDT 2011

Hi List,

We use GDAL with Proj.4 in MapWindow GIS.
We're currently in the process of upgrading to GDAL v1.8

We have some issues with projections in MapWindow.
We partially us GDAL methods and partially our custom ones.
We also are more and more working with EPSG codes with WMS and WFS. So we
need to handle them as well.

I've seen a discussion about this 2 or 3 weeks ago and my question partially
overlaps.
As I understand it, it is not possible do use GDAL/Proj.4 to input a EPSG
code and get the prj-file or projection string back, right?
And the same is for the other way round: get the EPSG code when the input is
a projection string.

But we do want this. Is some sort of offline database or XML file available
that will show the EPSG codes with the accompanying prj-file text and
projection string?

Or am I thinking in the wrong direction?

Thanks,

Paul

*Paul Meems *
Release manager, configuration manager