[gdal-dev] Convert vector to raster with colored polygons

spiderplant0 spiderplant0 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:56:08 EDT 2011

Hi, I have a vector file that consists of polygons that are colored according
to the value of an attribute.
I wish to convert this vector to a raster file and preserve the coloring
information. Is this possible with gdal_rasterize?

I have used this command...
gdal_rasterize -ts 8447 7058 -a attributeName -l layerName
vectorFilename.shp rasterFilename.tiff

However this just seems to generate a black and white raster file. I've read
everything I can find on gdal_translate but cant figure out how to fix in
the color information.

I'll use the raster image generated by this step to feed into gdal2tiles to
generate googleMap tiles.

I'm using gdal 1.8

Thanks.