[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.8.0 and MrSid "no-data" values

Kirk McKelvey kmckelvey at lizardtech.com
Fri May 27 15:10:48 EDT 2011

Sorry Oyvind, somehow I missed your note about it being MG2.

I looked into this yesterday and it is indeed a difference in the v8 DSDK.  Image properties that are available through the API (such as the nodata value, dynamic range, etc.) are no longer being inserted into the metadata.  This means they do not get transcribed into the GDAL metadata during initialization of the MrSIDDataset either.

Meanwhile, it looks like MrSIDRasterBand::GetNoDataValue() was disconnected due to a difference in the way LizardTech and GDAL interpret NODATA (per-band vs. all-bands), so there is no longer a way to get at this info at all.

For the moment the only suggestion I have is to reactivate the code in MrSIDRasterBand::MrSIDRasterBand() (approx. line 366ff in mrsiddataset.cpp) that sets the nodata value for the raster band.  You will of course have to deal with the different nodata semantics between LT and GDAL.

I will work on a patch to reinsert the NO_DATA_VALUE into the metadata.

Kirk.