[gdal-dev] Linux installation

christian.mueller at nvoe.at christian.mueller at nvoe.at
Fri Nov 11 00:46:15 EST 2011

Hi Steve, one of my customers is working with SLES11 on IBM z/Series
and p/Series (NO Intel architecture). I have to administer some of
these logical partitions.

First, what hardware do you plan to use. Intel/AMD makes life easier.

Second, SLES 11 is an enterprise edition with support you have to pay
for. The online updates you get are bug fixes, no new features. The
target is to have the system stable, not to have the newest versions.

My experience:

As an example,  there is no tomcat available. To get tomcat or other
software  you have to install it from here
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=fQKpDcAhPVY~

You should check if your needed software is contained, otherwise you
have to do an individual build. If you want to become a Novell
customer, ask them directly.

You can send me a list of your needed packages next week, I could
check on sles11 ppc.

SLES11 itself runs rock solid on my customers site. (There are about
30 Systems running). And dont forget, we are talking about a server
linux. The best setup is to install a bare linux without features and
add the needed software incrementally. No need for a browser or a gui.
You can use yast as an admin utility.
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/sles9/adminguide-sles9/ch02s10.html

I will stop here, if you have further questions, please ask. And btw,
you cannot compare performance/stability with a windows server, your
decision to migrate is a good one :-)

Cheers
Christian

Zitat von Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca: