[gdal-dev] Re: OGR Driver for Norwegian SOSI standard
thomas.hirsch at statkart.no
Fri Nov 18 03:34:31 EST 2011
Thank you all for your comments --
* I think the build system is easy to do. The library does not have any
significant external dependencies so wrapping it into a circle of auto* was
not my top priority.
* I would of course be available to maintain the synchronization. If the
library/driver would be co-hosted with gdal, I would not use the bitbucket
as ticket system. In that case, sync will happen between the ogr/public
version as public code (portability, interfacing, bug fixes) and internal
development (updates wrt newer versions of the SOSI standard). It remains to
see which side is "upstream".
* I understand your concern. I'm not a native speaker of Norwegian myself.
Translation however would break the sync, even if I had the resources to do
* I am also a bit worried about the public version of the driver being
neglected in a few years if it does not manage to create an user base to
create pressure on the authorities who should be publishing it. ;)
* Fyba is a 500KB standalone binary from a gcc build, or roughly 30K lines
including extensive comment blocks on every method. Sorting out the most
common commenter ids gets me to 15K lines.
* Depending on your perspective, SOSI may be a niche format, but it is also
a national standard used by most geospatial actors of an European country on
a daily basis. They just haven't got to see it integrated in their open
So much for my arguments. ;) I'll leave the decision to you.
I'll be happy to provide the support I can provide to either a standalone or
an integrated library.
View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/OGR-Driver-for-Norwegian-SOSI-standard-tp5282431p7007514.html
Sent from the GDAL - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
More information about the gdal-dev