[gdal-dev] VSI issue

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 04:40:09 EST 2011

On 11/18/2011 09:02 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Le vendredi 18 novembre 2011 15:04:55, Ari Jolma a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> A few days ago on this list I mentioned that the following works using a
>> recent version from trunk (and Perl bindings):
>>
>> use Geo::GDAL;
>> $datasource = Geo::OGR::Open('/home/ajolma/data/parks.shp');
>> Geo::OGR::Driver('GML')->Copy($datasource, '/dev/stdout');
>>
>> I'm testing a simple WFS written in Perl and basically the above is the
>> contents of the GetFeature subroutine (the datasource name comes of
>> course from a configuration file). However, using this in a Perl CGI
>> program leads to "RuntimeError Failed to create GML file /dev/stdout." -
>> it seems like the VSI does not work when the Perl program is run as a
>> CGI program. I may investigate the issue more but maybe somebody has an
>> answer right away. - I can forward the output to a file and then send
>> the file but it would be nice to feed it directly to the client.
> The most obvious idea I have is that something closes the stdout of the forked
> CGI ?

The standard way to send text (HTML, XML, ..) to the client in a Perl
CGI process is to print to stdout (exactly the same way as one does in a
command line Perl program). Thus it seems that the VSI stdout is somehow
not a standard stdout - I'll take a deeper look into what goes on.

Another thing is that in mod_perl sending to client is through a handle
(use the print method of an object) - it would be nice to be able to
give that handle to the GDAL copy method.

Ari