[gdal-dev] Making a "hole" in existing image

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:06:40 EST 2011

Jay,

You can use the VRT format to do this. Create patches of the image
surrounding the hole. Make sure the nodata is set to zero.
Your VRT file should contain four SimpleSource elements for each band.

First create a simple vrt file using gdalbuildvrt, edit it and then use
gdal_translate to create a new file.

http://www.gdal.org/gdalbuildvrt.html
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Jay Jennings <Jennings.Jay at geoeye.com>wrote:

>  Hi List,****
>
> I’m looking for a slick way, using GDAL utilities, to make a NoData “hole”
> in an existing image :  I’d like to set value 0 (which is this image’s
> NoData value) for each band of the image within the rectangle denoted by
> minX, minY, maxX, maxY.  I looked at ‘gdal_translate’ and ‘gdalwarp’ but I
> didn’t see any obvious way to get there.****
>
> ** **

> *Jay Jennings***
>
> Senior Software Developer ****