[gdal-dev] Resquest for comments (RFC 36)

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Oct 4 14:31:38 EDT 2011

> I think we want a syntax that can easily be entered by a user at the
> command line, or in the text field of a desktop or web user interface.
> That definitely rules out exotic characters, and ideally we'd lean
> towards a simpler syntax.

For a desktop user interface, *ideally*, I think the user should not even know
how it is formatted. He would select a filename in a file browser, and have a
drop-down list "Format" with the following values "Autodetected (by default),
GeoTIFF, Imagine, ...." with the driver long names rather than the short
names. Then the application would combine the filename with the value from the
drop-down list to format it to whatever syntax we will decide (or if we decide
to create a new GDALOpenXXX() that takes a driver name as an extra argument,
it will call it). The point is that the syntax should only matter to the
people using command line utilities.

But when thinking to that a bit more, embedding the driver name rather than
providing a new GDALOpenXXX() has clearly an advantage for the VRT or
gdaltindex cases. The format of those files would not require any change to
take advantage of the "fast open" new capability.

There's a small issue however to be able to build those files in a user
friendly way. Currently, a common use case is to issue : "gdaltindex
mytileindex.shp *.tif" or "gdalbuildvrt my.vrt *.tif"

But, you will not be able to issue : "gdaltindex mytileindex.shp GTiff:*.tif"
or "gdalbuildvrt my.vrt GTiff:*.tif"

Well, you could, but then the utilities would have to do the listing of the
directory by themselves, instead of relying on the shell to do the wildcard
expansion. So perhaps for those utilities a new option would be necessary so
that the utility can combine the filename with the driver name : "gdaltindex
mytileindex.shp *.tif -driver GTiff" or "gdalbuildvrt my.vrt *.tif -driver
GTiff"