[gdal-dev] Fwd: gdal_merge.py - Missing images - sans attachment

Jay L. jzl5325 at psu.edu
Fri Oct 7 11:42:52 EDT 2011

Sent with an example attachment, which is awaiting approval.  Here is the
mail without attachement.

I have 8 large Gtiffs which I am trying to mosaic.  Tiffs were created from
.IMG files downloaded from PDS.  I converted to tif using:

        gdal_translate -of GTiff -scale -co "TILED=YES" -co "COMPRESS=JPEG"
<input>

The format conversion is working without a problem.  Gdalinfo is reporting
the correct NDV and projection information.  Viewing each tif also returns
the expected raster iamge.  So far, so good.

I then use:

        gdal_merge.py -o wacmos.tif -of GTiff -v --optfile tiff_list.txt

Six of the eight tiles are added to the mosaic correctly.  Varying the order
in the list, or using *.tif does not change the output.  It is always the
same two images which are missing.  Watching the verbose output, it looks
like the images are mosaicing correctly.  What would cause these images to
be merged as totally black tiles?

Thanks for any insight,
Jay