[gdal-dev] Re: OGR Driver for Norwegian SOSI standard

relet thomas.hirsch at statkart.no
Wed Oct 12 08:34:53 EDT 2011

Dear all,

Re: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3638

The current version of the SOSI driver depends on a library called FYBA.
This library is about to be made open source under a MIT/X licence. That
means, we could legally include it fully in the SOSI driver, and I would
like to start a discussion whether that should be done.

As you can see in the ticket thread above, there are some technical
particularities: It's a library with a good bit of historic legacy. In
particular
- code and documentation is mostly in Norwegian (it's a National geographic
standard)
- variable naming follows a different Hungarian notation variant
- it has a history of supporting various OS, was maintained for Windows
during some years, and runs now on Windows and Linux. It mostly uses its own
portability library.

Still, I would like to make it as easy as possible for the user to actually
get a running ogr/sosi installation on their target system of choice. Having
this code available from the same source and integrated with their makefiles
seems a definite plus.

We are willing to maintain the code base and ogr driver (as is), and will
update it along with changes in the standard (e.g. SOSI 4.5 with UTF-8
support is scheduled for the beginning of next year).
(Contact me if you want to inspect the code. The official release has not
happened yet.)

How do you suggest to make the library accessible?

Best regards,
Thomas