[gdal-dev] Backporting rename-internal-libtiff-symbols to GDAL 1.8.0 ubuntu package ?

Francesco P. Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Tue Oct 18 16:47:29 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 07:16:20PM +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> > Therefore, my plan is to provide, in our PPA ([3], [4]), yet-another
> > patched GDAL 1.8.0 package integrating this fix, and building gdal with
> > --with-rename-internal-libtiff-symbols=yes and
> > --with-rename-internal-libgeotiff-symbols=yes
> > I think applying and using the "rename-internal-libtiff-symbols" patch
> > will create an ABI compatible GDAL library (the ultimate goal is of
> > course to provide a package which is ABI-compatible with all the
> > packages of ubuntugis-unstable).
> >
> > I would appreciate the opinion of GDAL developers and Ubuntu/Debian
> > package maintainers about this assumption I'm making.
> > Do you see an issue that I would have missed ?
>
> My initial thought without checking :
> I don't think it should cause any ABI problem. IMHO, the symbols of the
> internal libtiff and libgeotiff have never been thought as belonging to the GDAL
> API/ABI. I believe that Debian uses --with-hide-internal-symbols by the way
> (to be confirmed by the package mainteners of course), so those symbols were
> already not available to binaries linking to GDAL.

Confirmed. On those regards I would appreciate if you would have a try
in linking by using current experimental gdal 1.8.1 available in the archive.
On the basis of my trials tiff/geotiff/gdal can now be linked together in
whatever order without problems, with that version.

> But...
> I've just done a test and the results are mixed. It appears that the internal
> libtiff symbols are not exported as expected when using  --with-hide-internal-
> symbol, but the libgeotiff ones are exported ... So, there could be issues if
> --with-rename-internal-libgeotiff-symbols is used and an external binary linked
> to GDAL hoping that it would export the libgeotiff symbols.
>
> Side node : I don't understand why Debian/Ubuntu uses internal libgeotiff, and
> not external libgeotiff ? I don't see a good reason for that.

The true problem is that we currently are distributing the traditional
non-bigtiff enabled libtiff and people are quite resistant in changing that.
That forces me to use the internal library. Also, at the time of squeeze
release the internal geotiff support was more recent than the official
geotiff. That could be currently different.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine