[gdal-dev] subdatasets not read in a HDF file

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Mon Oct 24 09:15:03 EDT 2011

On 24-10-2011 14:04, Jose Gomez-Dans wrote:
> Hi Joaquim,
>
> On 24 October 2011 13:56, Joaquim Luis <jluis at ualg.pt
> <mailto:jluis at ualg.pt>> wrote:
>
>     Anton,
>
>     I don't remember the details because I programmed that some time
>     ago, but from what I recall that's the most accurate way of
>     interpolating the data into a regular grid. The whole procedure is
>     implemented in Mirone were the x,y,z triplets (computed after the
>     cnt_pt_col|row)  are reinterpolated with minimum curvature or
>     nearneighbor algorithms to calculate a regular grid.  Now, this
>     used to work with temperature data but it didn't anymore with that
>     chlorophyll file (Mirone stand-alone crashed) .  The
>     implementation use a Matlab hdf reader MEX and that MEX of the
>     time of ML6.5 crashes. New versions work okay but I cannot used
>     them in the Mirone stand-alone so I though in using GDAL (as I do
>     in many other instances), except that ... it doesn't work too.
>

> I think that GDAL doesn't do the 1D datasets you find in some products
> (MODIS MOD09XX springn to mind). Here's a message I sent to the list
> in 2008, and a reply from F Warmerdam on it. I ended up using pyhdf in
> the end:
> <http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/HDF-V-and-VR-components-td2032993.html>

Hi Jose,

That's indeed a pitty ... but perhaps there is s new hope in town -  the
updated netcdf driver. Etienne?
BTW what do I need to change in nmake.opt to compile with the new
abilities of the netCDF driver on Windows? I have netcd4 built with HDF
support and tried by adding

-DNC_NETCDF4 -DNETCDF_HAS_NC4 -DNETCDF_HAS_HDF4

to the compile flags but still no luck in reading a HDF file with it's
cousin driver.

Joaqium