[gdal-dev] Renaming a column's name in a Shapefile

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 07:46:57 EDT 2011

António,

OGR comes as a part of GDAL. OGR utilities can be used like GDAL utilities.

First, run ogrinfo on the shapefile with the options "-al" and "-so" to
determine the field names in it.

Next, use the ogr2ogr utility like this:
ogr2ogr -sql "SELECT [field1a AS field1b, field2a AS field2b, field 3a AS
field3b] FROM shapefileA" shapefileB.shp shapefileA.shp

This command changes the fields field1a, field2a and field3a in the original
shapefile, shapefileA.shp, to field1b, field2b and field3b respectively in
the new shapefile, shapefile.shp.

2011/10/26 António Rocha <antonio.rocha at deimos.com.pt>

> Hi
> THanks for the feedback. I'm a bit lost on this. Is there any examples and
> tutorials on using sql commands for OGR? I'm sorry but I'm not use to use
> Vectorial data and neither OGR (only GDAL)
> Thanks
> Antonio
> Chaitanya kumar CH wrote:
>
>> António,
>>
>> The easiest way is to use the -sql option in ogr2ogr [1] and set a new
>> name with the AS clause in the SQL statement [2].
>>
>> [1]: http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.**html<http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html>
>> [2]: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/**wiki/rfc28_sqlfunc<http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc28_sqlfunc>
>>
>> 2011/10/26 António Rocha <antonio.rocha at deimos.com.pt <mailto:
>> antonio.rocha at deimos.**com.pt <antonio.rocha at deimos.com.pt>>>
>>

>>    Greetings
>>    I have to shage a column name in a Shapefile. I'm not much
>>    familiar with OGR. How can I do that in OGR?
>>    THanks
>>    Best regards,
>>    Antonio
>>

>>    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
>>    signature database 6574 (20111025) __________
>>
>>    The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>>
>>    http://www.eset.com

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Chaitanya kumar CH.