[gdal-dev] ogr and mdb conversion

Chris Green chris.green at ibstv.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 09:47:27 EDT 2011

Hi

I'm trying to get to a point where I can publish an .mdb dataset on
Mapserver. Having tried for nearly a week to get OGR and the PGeo driver
working on Linux (and not being willing to tackle building the MDB driver
which involves compiling GDAL/OGR 1.9), I decided to try and get round my
problem by using OGR2OGR to convert my .mdb dataset to MySQL offline, then
connect Mapserver to MySQL (something I am doing already).

But now I have a different problem. I can open my .mdb file with OGRInfo and
OGR2PGR starts off converting the data but then trips up with the error
"ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed translation of
layer ..". If I tell OGR2OGR to -skipfailures it continues to the end of the
file having missed perhaps 60% of the features.

There is no additional information about the nature of the translation
error. Looking at the features in Microsoft Access I see no obvious reason
why some should be successfully translated and others should fail.

I realise that MySQL is not the best database for spatial data but I really
don't want to have to change it, and anyway I am not sure whether this
problem is caused by OGR2OGR, or by the .mdb file, or by MySQL.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could establish why these
errors occur?

Chris