[gdal-dev] ESRI products have problems reading gdal spatialreference entry

Schmitz, Uwe uwe.schmitz at bezreg-koeln.nrw.de
Mon Sep 5 10:03:43 EDT 2011

Hi all,

some of our customers are complaining that ESRI
products, eg. ArcMap, can't recognize the
spatialreference system of GeoTIFF files written
with gdal_translate.

First I must admit that I don't have ArcMap at
hand and can't test intensly. But I verified the
statement with a colleagues instance of ArcMap (V9.3).

To be precise, if I do the following:

gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:25832 in.tif out.tif

ArcMap isn't able to identify the reference system
of out.tif correctly. Especially if I try to
reproject the data on-the-fly into another system,
the right transformation methods are not shown.

If I look into the header data, I see that gdal
has written "ETRS89 / UTM zone 32N" as the name
of the crs. Files that ArcMap can identify correctly
have "ETRS_1989_UTM_Zone_32N" as crs. May be this
is a reason for misinterpretation?

I wonder, if anyone else has experienced this or
similar behaviour. And how can I achieve that
ESRI- *and* gdal-Tools can identify the correct
reference system.

Thanks in advance!
Uwe