[gdal-dev] Ogr2ogr projection problem- features are shifted 12 miles to the north??? How do I fix it?

Stacy Supak sksupak at ncsu.edu
Sat Sep 10 18:27:24 EDT 2011

Hi Community,

I have discovered a problem relate to the output of an ogr2ogr command line
call. My resulting polygon features are 12 miles (.18 degrees) due north of
where they should be, but the longitude is correct. The polygon dimensions
are also preserved.

The desired output is a shape file that has been projected using EPSG 4326.
The input comes from a postgres database with postgis where the polygon were
digitized in EPSG 900913 (the google mercator prj).

Below is the command line call that I am using:

ogr2ogr -where " gid = 3 " -f "ESRI Shapefile"
E:\Web_Data_Storage\dfr_map_shapes\DFRmap_Tract_3_4326.shp -t_srs EPSG:4326
PG:"user=dfr_webmap dbname=denr host=ipaddress password=xxx port=5433"
Tracts2

If I convert the coordinates of a corner of a polygon using gdaltransform I
get the correct coordinates.

gdaltransform -s_srs EPSG:900913 -t_srs EPSG:4326 -8853154 4197094.5

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Stacy