[gdal-dev] Re: Do we have to know UTM zone a priori to convert to UTM from lat/lon

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 09:54:04 EDT 2011

Well GDAL has the necessary infrastructure for (almost) anyone to do
it themselves.
This type of application is typically handled by python scripts, feel
free to submit your own when it is ready. It would make a nice
addition to the python samples in my opinion.

EPSG zones are defined for longitude zones, both north and south (not
in 8-degree zones), so in GDAL you only need to find the longitudinal
zone and define if it is north or south.

e.g. from spatialreference.org
EPSG:32718 -> WGS 84 / UTM zone 18S
EPSG:32618 -> WGS 84 / UTM zone 18N

Etienne