[gdal-dev] Re: OGR FileGDB driver: Failed at creating table ... (General function failure.)

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Thu Sep 15 10:46:11 EDT 2011

AFAICT, the issue is not so much that the FileGDB only supports certain
projections, but that it only accepts a very specific WKT string for a
given SRS. A single character of difference can cause the FileGDB API to
not recognise the SRS, then fall back to a "General function failure".

GDAL/OGR has its own WKT definition of a given SRS, which is slightly
different to ESRI's WKT of the same SRS. I noted that when creating a
FileGDB, GDAL/OGR tries to ESRI'ify its WKT through the morphToESRI()
function. For EPSG:3035, the result is obviously not "ESRI-friendly"
enough. In fact, it is not what I first thought: an issue with the
parameter name (Central_Meridian versus longitude_of_center) but simply
the SRS's string identifier which causes the problem.

My quick-fix:
I edited ../local/share/gdal/pcs.csv and changed "ETRS89 / LAEA Europe"
into "ETRS 1989 / LAEA", ..et voilà: the error is gone. "ETRS 1989 /
LAEA" is ESRI'ified into "ETRS_1989_LAEA", which is exactly the expected
string for this SRS.

I am not sure if it is worth filing a ticket for this specific case, as
it is part of a wider ESRI-WKT-versus-GDAL/OGR-WKT dilemma, which in
return is known already, see e.g. Uwe's post from some days ago.

Hermann