[gdal-dev] How do I convert LL to UTM?

dev4cx4m9z at snkmail.com dev4cx4m9z at snkmail.com
Sat Sep 24 08:45:43 EDT 2011

Sorry - left critical line out of previous post. Is there a web based
version of this mailing list? It's a bit tedious with mailman.

Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong (and don't say writing it in VB.NET) in
my logic of converting a Lat/Long to UTM? All the assignments, except the
lat one, are successful

   Dim MapSRS As New OGRSpatialReference       ' Coordinate system of map

   Dim UTMSRS As New OGRSpatialReference       ' Coordinate system for UTM

   Dim CT As OGRCoordinateTransformation       ' Coordinate transform from
map to UTM

   Dim GDALError As NCSError

   GDALError = WGS84SRS.SetWellKnownGeogCS("WGS84")          ' Define WGS84
coordinate system

   GDALError = UTMSRS.SetWellKnownGeogCS("WGS84")              ' Define a
UTM coordinate system

   GDALError = MapSRS.ImportFromEPSG(3517)

   GDALError = UTMSRS.SetUTM(55, false)

   CT = CreateCoordinateTransformation(MapSRS, UTMSRS)        ' Create a
coordinate transformation

   UTMeast = cursor.X : UTMnorth = cursor.Y            ' cursor.X = Lon;
cursor.Y = Lat

   Success = CT.TransformPoint(UTMeast, UTMnorth, 0)           ' Transform
the point

Success returns false, and UTMeast = -505516.60123597935 and UTMnorth =
9999959.7180830985

Marc Hillman, Melbourne, Australia

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/mhillman/

marc .hillman @ t p g . c o m . a u

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.