[gdal-dev] Most optimal way of using tiles ?

Oyvind Idland oyvind.idland at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:34:54 EDT 2012

Hello,

I got a huge dataset consisting of about 100 uncompressed TIFF's, each with
size 12599 X 9449 pixels with RGB bands.
Note, that the TIFF's are not georef'ed, instead there are .tfw's following
each file. Also, since they are about 350 MB each,
I guess converting them to a compressed format could speed things up (I/O).

The "normal" approach would probably be to make a VRT dataset, and build
overviews. However, building a an
overview based on the entire VRT index seems a bit heavy in this case.

Is it possible in some way to create compressed overviews (using gdaladdo)
for each file, and
then build a VRT based on these ? Will the VRT dataset utilize the
generated overviews ?

- oyvind