[gdal-dev] Re: Slow writing into Spatialite with -skipfailures

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Apr 5 14:54:06 EDT 2012

> > What is the error reported when inserting features into the Spatialite DB
> > that makes the use of -skipfailures necessary ?
>
> The error is this one:
> ERROR 1: sqlite3_step() failed:
>   parcel.GEOMETRY violates Geometry constraint [geom-type or SRID not
> allowed] ( 19)

Hum, would be interesting to have a sample to examine one of the geometry that
triggers the error. The SRID hypothesis seems unlikely, and as far as the
geometry type is concerned, it is weird because you have specified -nlt
MULTIPOLYGON ...

I imagine once the reason for the error(s) is more clearly identified, the
possibility for a prefiltering in ogr2ogr could be studied to avoid trying to
insert such features, and thus benefiting for transactions.

> Ogr2ogr managed to insert only 273886 polygons in 13 hours into spatialite
> db so I canceled the job instead of letting it run the remaining 40 hours.
>  I will try the effect of OGR_SQLITE_SYNCHRONOUS=OFF.

Another possibility (combined with the synchronous=off) would be to try
specifying -skip_failures -gt 0 *in that order * (because -skipfailures
implicitely sets gt to 1, so -gt 0 placed afterwards on the command line will
change that to 0) and see if it makes any difference. I'm not sure of the real
benefit of transactions when inserting independant features with the sqlite DB
backend.