[gdal-dev] Fields

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Apr 14 16:16:33 EDT 2012

Le samedi 14 avril 2012 13:35:51, Ari Jolma a écrit :
> Folks,
>
> While extending the method set of Geo::OGR::Layer in the Perl bindings I
> noticed that it is perfectly possible to create two fields with the same
> name into a layer. This seems too relaxed. Or are there use cases where
> one would like to have more than one field which has the same name?

Ari,

I doubt there are really valid use cases where this would make sense, and I
know that for instance, ogr2ogr will not be able to correctly deal with that
(it will only keep one field for several fields with same name).

However it would require quite a bit of effort to guarantee field name
uniqueness, because all drivers should be updated to implement the logic to
avoid that.

Even