[gdal-dev] Very large time difference using gdal_translate from Jpeg2000 to different formats using JP2KAK driver

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 00:37:59 EDT 2012

Adam,

The kakadu library is very fast compared to many others. Each
format/library has it's own advantages and disadvantages regarding speed,
file size, data loss, license cost, compatibility with raster data types,
etc.

Could you provide some statistics of the times taken to encode/decode with
various drivers/formats? Your results may not be the true speeds but they
will give a basis for comparison to many users.

On Friday, April 13, 2012, ahbrown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering why there is such a large difference in the time to convert
> large O(250MB) Jpeg2000 image to GeoTiff format in comparison with
> conversion to other formats (e.g. jpeg, png)?
>
> I am using the Kakadu Jpeg2000 driver. With a 43221 x 36021 Jpeg2000 image.
>
> Results of timed conversions are as follows:
>

> Using RasterIO directly (via the Java wrapper) the conversion takes around
> 6
> seconds.
>
> Any insights are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,