[gdal-dev] Layer operations, a proposal

Tyler Mitchell Tyler.Mitchell at actian.com
Wed Apr 18 20:26:46 EDT 2012

Jason Roberts wrote:
> For scenarios involving large numbers of features, I suspect it is much
> harder to do it fast and within available memory. It is probably necessary
> to do a multi-pass approach, where the first step operates only on the
> spatial indexes of the layers involved. It is probably too slow--or at least
> very suboptimal--to even read all of the features into memory, much less
> call GEOS on them; all of that would happen in a later pass, when a subset
> of features was identified via the spatial index pass....

I was intrigued to read the earlier thread you pointed out Jason, and to see also
Jan's comment about spatial index handling.  I would really love to see a common
approach to adding spatial index files to my files (and even database connections
done via a VRT) - and then having OGR understand how to use those indexes.

That'd be pretty awesome in my opinion... not that I'm able to implement anything
myself, but thought I'd raise a cheer around the idea ;-)

Tyler