[gdal-dev] How to change variable names in netCDF?

blaa_katt at yahoo.co.jp blaa_katt at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Apr 19 10:09:36 EDT 2012

Normal  0          false  false  false    EN-US  JA  X-NONE                                          MicrosoftInternetExplorer4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;	mso-style-noshow:yes;	mso-style-priority:99;	mso-style-qformat:yes;	mso-style-parent:"";	mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;	mso-para-margin-top:0cm;	mso-para-margin-right:0cm;	mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;	mso-para-margin-left:0cm;	line-height:115%;	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;	font-size:11.0pt;	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";	mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;	mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;	mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;	mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";	mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Hello,

Thank you for the reply, Etienne.

If it is impossible with the gdal 1.9.0,I would like to implement some modifications.

We found netCDF constructor in netcdfdataset.cpp.

I think it is possible to modify the names by setting pszBandNameas shown follows:

    if (!pszBandName || EQUAL(pszBandName,"")  )

        sprintf( szTemp, "Band%d", nBand );

    else

        strcpy( szTemp, pszBandName );

            CPLDebug( "GDAL_netCDF","nc_def_var(%d,%s,%d)",

                      cdfid, szTemp,nc_datatype );

            status = nc_def_var( cdfid, szTemp,nc_datatype,

                         NCDF_NBDIM,anBandDims, &nZId );

But the course of the modification is unclear for me.

Can anyone give me any advice which way is better,  (e.g. parsing of names through string options,making reserved metadata with a name, modification of Python APIs, etc)?

Kind regards,

Asuka

Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

If you use gdal-1.9 the driver will use the variable name from the
original netcdf file (if any).

for example, if you use the following command the original filename
will be preserved.
gdal_translate -of netcdf in.nc out.nc

However, if copying from other formats (such as gtiff), or creating a
new netcdf file, there is no way to change the variable name with
gdal.

You can use other tools such as:
NCO -> nco.sourceforge.net/
cdo ->https://code.zmaw.de/projects/cdo