[gdal-dev] Performance of reading large polygons with holes

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Apr 21 07:59:29 EDT 2012

Le samedi 21 avril 2012 12:41:49, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Martin Davis started this thread on OpenJUMP-dev list
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.jump.devel/11119
> Perhaps someone would like to test how OGR performs with such data?
> Link to dataset is mentioned in the discussion.

I suppose that dataset you mention is :
http://maps.cmparks.net/geoserver/metroparks/ows?service=WFS&version=1.0.0&request=GetFeature&typeName=metroparks:tpi_1&outputFormat=SHAPE-
ZIP ?

If so, on my box, the whole shapefile (~ 390 MB for the .shp / ~1 million
features) can be read in about 4 seconds with a simplified version of ogrinfo
that just loops on all the features. The algorithm that assembles the rings of
polygon shapes into polygons that conform to Simple Features has been pretty
improved during the last years. It is in the
OGRGeometryFactory::organizePolygons() method ( see
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/ogr/ogrgeometryfactory.cpp#L1015
) . For shapefiles, there's a shortcut that save a lot of computations w.r.t.
the general algorithm, because the shapefile specification states that outer
rings should be described clockwise , whereas inner rings should be described
counter-clockwise.