[gdal-dev] GDAL - Python - ArcGIS10.1

Jay L. jzl5325 at psu.edu
Mon Aug 6 09:53:11 PDT 2012

All,

I am trying to get the gdal python bindings working with an ArcGIS 10.1
installation.

I grabbed the core from gisinternals.com/sdk (thanks Tamas!) and installed
both the 1500 core files (MVS 2008) and the python 2.7 bindings.  I
appended the path as necessary and added the GDAL_DATA directory.  The gdal
installation appears to be working wonderfully with gdal_translate,
gdalinfo, and ogr2ogr all functioning as expected.

Any of the python scripts and a straigh import of gdal or ogr are failing.
Stack trace below.  Any ideas?  This is a new import error for me.

I attempted the import both from the root directory and the directory gdal
is in (thinking it still could have been a PATH issue).  I also tried both
the stable and the nightly builds to see if that was the issue.  Nada.

Thanks,
Jay

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\arc_user>python
Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 15:08:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
on win
32
>>> import gdal
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\lib\site-packages\gdal.py", line 2, in
<module>
    from osgeo.gdal import deprecation_warn
  File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\lib\site-packages\osgeo\__init__.py", line
21, in
 <module>
    _gdal = swig_import_helper()
  File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\lib\site-packages\osgeo\__init__.py", line
17, in
 swig_import_helper
    _mod = imp.load_module('_gdal', fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: DLL load failed: The device is not ready.