[gdal-dev] About sqlite tileindex and Mapserver

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Aug 24 04:34:14 PDT 2012

Hi,

It is documented in http://mapserver.org/mapfile/layer.html .
TILEINDEX [filename|layername]

    Name of the tileindex file or layer. A tileindex is similar to an ArcInfo library index. The tileindex contains polygon features for each tile. The item that contains the location of the tiled data is given using the TILEITEM parameter. When a file is used as the tileindex for shapefile or raster layers, the tileindex should be a shapefile. For CONNECTIONTYPE OGR layers, any OGR supported datasource can be a tileindex. Normally the location should contain the path to the tile file relative to the shapepath, not relative to the tileindex itself. If the DATA parameter contains a value then it is added to the end of the location. When a tileindex layer is used, it works similarly to directly referring to a file, but any supported feature source can be used (ie. postgres, oracle).

Perhaps this tileindex section could have direct links to some tileindex layer examples rather than having them only in wiki?

-Jukka Rahkonen-