[gdal-dev] How to compile "GDAL from gdal trunk" and qgis from source?

laurent celati lcelati at latitude-geosystems.com
Thu Aug 30 01:10:23 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have posted a message there a few weeks. I asked you a way to compile the
"last Gdal version from trunk" and Qgis from source targeting your gdal
source as library in order to use the last Gdal postis raster driver. You
answered that the last binairies qgis 1.8 version is available with the last
version of gdal (1.9.1) and that it's useless to compile.

I understand your reply. BUT I have talked last days with developpers of
"Gdal Postgis raster driver". They just add several important updates to the
driver. And they confirm to me that the only way to use the last driver is
to compile GDAL from gdal trunk and qgis from source using that compilation
as GDAL version.
Please to read below few sentences written by those developpers :
That's the only way to get the development version working. You have to
compile GDAL from svn and qgis from source using that compilation as GDAL
version.
I'm not following osgeo4w binaries, but I don't think they would
provide a QGIS build with both gdal and qgis from svn. It's not entirely
impossible because I know they release a few nightly snapshots.
So, you have to use the last GDAL version from trunk in order to have the
last "Gdal Postgis raster driver updates".You just need to compile QGIS from
source targeting your GDAL source as library.I think that if you make any
header changes you may need to recompile it all since QGIS depends on
GDAL.So you have to work with last gdal version from trunk.

I need this last version of Gdal Postgis raster driver on my windows 7-64
bits station but those developpers working on Linux.
Could you explain to me the way to compile GDAL from gdal trunk and qgis
from source using that compilation as GDAL version (sources links to
download, compilation procédure,etc.). I am a thematician geograph and i am
a novice in software compilation;-(

In advance, thank you for your reply.

Kind regards.

Laurent Celati