[gdal-dev] Overviews using GDAL

Dmitry Baryshnikov polimax at mail.ru
Fri Dec 14 10:22:48 PST 2012

Hi,

GDALDataset::RasterIO pass the  request off to each band objects
rasterio methods with appropriate arguments
In  GDALRasterBand::RasterIO
(http://www.gdal.org/classGDALRasterBand.html#a5497e8d29e743ee9177202cb3f61c3c7)

"Some formats may efficiently implement decimation into a buffer by
reading from lower resolution overview images."

So you don't need to choose the right overview level by yourself.
Usually it selected automatically. You can inspect GDAL sources for how
it chosen. GDAL don't have the special function to find out which
overview level is chosen.

Best regards,
     Dmitry

14.12.2012 11:24, HariPrasad ?????: