[gdal-dev] OGR XYZ -> GDAL VRT?

Tyler Mitchell tyler.mitchell at actian.com
Thu Dec 20 09:38:32 PST 2012

On 2012-12-20, at 7:34 AM, Brent Fraser wrote:

> I've also constructed views in the database, basically reformatting the lat/lon columns into WKT format to do:

Hi Brent, you gave some good examples, thanks.  This has been the approach I took so far, but is not precisely what I'm after.

> Hopefully I've understood at least some of what you are trying to accomplish.  At first I thought you wanted a GDAL VRT that defines a raster, referencing an OGR VRT as the source data and defining a method of producing a grid.  Yikes!

Yeah, that's the ticket actually :)  Think of it as poor-man's raster-in-db solution - a table with X, Y, Z columns - I'm looking for the best way to let GDAL pull that data out and re-assemble it as a raster.  I can do it programatically but want to do it on the fly, so MapServer, QGIS, etc. can simply use it.

Thanks again,
Tyler