[gdal-dev] WFS 1.1 and axis orientation - wrong coordinates interpretation

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 14:00:03 EST 2012

Hi,

I think, OGR (and therefore MapServer too), is not taking care about
axis orientation of incomming data, acting as WFS 1.1 client. Result is
flipped data and I do not know, how the software recognizes, that axes
order is different (apperently, it does not).

We have setuped generic WFS 1.1 server with MapServer (6.0.1). Data are
published in WGS84.

With very simple request, you get the data and the axis order is Y,X
(lat, lon) (imho correct)

http://gis.bnhelp.cz/ows/crwfs?service=wfs&version=1.1.0&request=getfeature&typename=okresy

Now, when try to get this data with OGR and convert them to e.g. Shapefile

ogr2ogr okresy.shp
"WFS:http://gis.bnhelp.cz/ows/crwfs?service=wfs&version=1.1.0&request=getfeature&typename=okresy"

Resulting shapefile has inverted coordinates  (wrong)

Same applies, when I defined WFS layer using MapFile and tryed to render
the image. NOTE: Probably patch [1] is needed. Data are downloaded
corectly by the client (MapServer) from the server (MapServer or
anything else), but they are not rendered, because they are not
recognized as "inverted axis" data.

LAYER
    CONNECTION "http://gis.bnhelp.cz/ows/crwfs?"
    CONNECTIONTYPE WFS
    DATA "okresy"
    METADATA
      "wfs_extent"      "12.0972 48.5542 18.8583 51.0558"
      "wfs_request_method"      "GET"
      "wms_extent"      "12.0972 48.5542 18.8583 51.0558"
      "wfs_title"       "Okresy CR"
      "wfs_typename"    "okresy"
      "gml_include_items"       "all"
      "wfs_version"     "1.1.0"
      "wms_title"       "Okresy CR"
    END # METADATA
    NAME "okresy"
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4326"
    END # PROJECTION
    STATUS OFF
    TEMPLATE "foo"
    TILEITEM "location"
    TYPE POLYGON
    UNITS METERS
    CLASS
      STYLE
        ANGLE 0
        COLOR 238 153 0
        OFFSET 0 0
        POLAROFFSET 0 0
        OUTLINECOLOR 134 81 0
        SIZE 5
        WIDTH 5
      END # STYLE
    END # CLASS
  END # LAYER

NOTE: WFS 1.0.0 just works.

So, do I consider this right as bug in OGR WFS 1.1 client implementation?

Thanks

Jachym

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/4118