[gdal-dev] plate-carree to google maps projection

Jayesh Chaudhary aashishcy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:51:37 EST 2012

Friends,

I took a NASA blue marble image (in plate-carree projection) and translated
it to google maps projection EPSG:3857. The final image is here (I
converted it to JPG) http://prographicstech.com/world2.jpg.

Initial image dimension were 5400 X 2700 and final image dimensions is 4693
X 3798 (I did not change scale / size). When I overlayed this image on
google maps it came out stretched. (I had put these bounds,
-90,-180 to 90,180).

I believe I understand the problem but I am not sure if have a good
solution to the problem. I can certainly ask this question to google maps
groups but I am wondering if anyone else has any specific suggestions.

For the conversions I followed an earlier email to gdal-dev regarding the
same matter.

Thanks,