[gdal-dev] Issue converting GRASS data to GeoTIFF

Aldo Aldo.Lucero at saic.com
Tue Feb 28 18:00:24 EST 2012

I searched for this issue, but could not find anything.

I have 3 data sets that are in GRASS format (cell, cellhd, etc).
I used GRASS 6.4.2 to convert the GRASS data into GeoTiff using r.out.gdal.
The command looks as follows:
r.out.gdal input=japan at japan output=japan.gtif

I read the japan.gtif file using some of the java interfaced classes for
GDAL (using 1.9.0).
 I get the right number of rows, columns, etc.
The issue I have is that in some cases, for the same (row,column) in GRASS I
get a different elevation in GDAL. We have always used GRASS as an interface
to get elevation data, but we were hoping we could migrate to using GDAL.
 I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. Is this a projection
issue? The mapset is covers a big area (Lat 20N to 46N, Long 122E to 154E).
 We have an old JNI interface to access GRASS data using Java, but I was
hoping to remove that and use GDAL only. At some point I recompiled GDAL
with GRASS support, which I think would allow me to access the GRASS mapsets
directly, but then I did not know what file/directory to give GDAL in order
to read it. I tried the file under japan/cell, but that did not work.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Aldo L.