[gdal-dev] How to build python bindings on windows?

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Sun Jan 8 15:44:58 EST 2012

Hi,

I made my first attempt to build the python bindings on Windows  and
like others have complained before ... nothing happened
I did set PYDIR  and  PY_INST_DIR but at the end no errors nor anything
else python related.
Next I went to swig\python and did
python.exe setup.py build
which resulted in

copying osgeo\osr.py -> build\lib.win32-2.6\osgeo
copying osgeo\__init__.py -> build\lib.win32-2.6\osgeo
running build_ext
building 'osgeo._gdal' extension
error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

why the hell is it looking for vcvarsall.bat (the VS batch that sets
necessary env variables)? And who is doing that? I grepped for vcvarsall
and nothing showed up.

Thanks

Joaquim