[gdal-dev] Mismatched output from listgeo/gdalwarp/cs2cs

Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt pepijn at vaneeckhoudt.net
Mon Jan 9 10:52:29 EST 2012

On 09/01/2012 15:52, Jean-Claude Repetto wrote:
> Le 09/01/2012 14:24, Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt a écrit :
>> different approach and defaults to +towgs84=0,0,0 instead.
> Blindly adding "+towgs84=0,0,0" will unlikely give correct results.
> You'll have to provide the correct datum transformation parameters.
Thanks for the answers. You're absolutely right that this is highly
unlikely to be correct. I inherited the code in question and I'm
inclined this behavior now.

I can understand why the datum shift change
<http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/FAQ#WhydoIgetdifferentresultswith4.5.0and4.6.0>
was made; the old behavior was  basically the same as adding
towgs84=0,0,0. It's rather surprising then though that gdalwarp (and
cs2cs) don't complain in these cases. I would expect the tools to refuse
this type of input since you're asking them to do transformations that
they cannot perform correctly.

Pepijn