[gdal-dev] FYI - embedding overviews into read only file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 9 21:15:51 EST 2012

Martin,

In general GDAL is very poor about checking read-only vs. read-write
status.  I presume the overviews where in a .ovr file, not in the original
file itself, right?

I will note it is desirable that we can build overviews for files
even if we can only open the files readonly (ie. formats
that don't support update), so I wouldn't want to introduce
careful update permission checking now.

Best regards,
Frank