[gdal-dev] Warping onto an image with only GCPs with Python

Anton Korosov anton.korosov at nersc.no
Thu Jan 12 03:23:05 EST 2012

Hello everyone!

Some time ago I've asked about problems with gdalwarp  (the e-mails
below). I tried to utilize Python binding instead but got the same
results. This brief script overlays the Europe map (GeoTIFF with
geotransform) onto a MERIS images (PDS file with GCPs). But the result
looks wrong again - the map is very small and apperas in the upper left
corner (attached file).

GCPfile='MER_RR__2PNPDK20030809_100609_000022512018_00466_07534_3898.N1'
geotransformfile = 'europe.tif'
outfile = 'colocated.tif'

# open input datasets
src_ds = gdal.Open(geotransformfile)
dst_ds = gdal.Open(GCPfile)

# create writable copy of the destination image
driver = gdal.GetDriverByName( "GTiff" )
out_ds = driver.CreateCopy(outfile, dst_ds, 0 )

# reproject onto destination image with GCPs
gdal.ReprojectImage(src_ds, out_ds)

Can you please confirm that this is a bug in GDAL? If so I will issue a
bug report.

Thank you in advance!
Anton

PS. If the GCPs in the destination image are replaced with a
GeoTransfrom generated using the gdal.GCPsToGeoTransform() function, the
result looks much better but the image is still rather distorted. Which
is understandable because curvature of a MERIS images (given by GCPs)
cannot be fully explained by few numbers in the geotransform.