[gdal-dev] numpy array to raster

questions anon questions.anon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:38:30 EST 2012

I need to output my numpy array as a raster so that someone else can access
the data in ArcGIS. So basically the steps I need are:
read numpy array into gdal
convert to raster
use latitude and longitude and array size to set projection

I am really struggling with gdal because I can't seem to find enough
documentation about each step to understand what it is doing.
Here are some of the steps I think I need:

myarray=myarray
#the extent and shape of my array
xmin,ymin,xmax,ymax=[139.8,-39.2,150.0,-33.6]
ncols,nrows=[193,106]
xres=(xmax-xmin)/float(ncols)
yres=(ymax-ymin)/float(nrows)
geotransform=(xmin,xres,0,ymax,0, -yres)

from osgeo import gdal
from osgeo import gdal_array

src_ds=gdal_array.OpenArray(myarray)

dst_ds =
gdal.GetDriverByName('GTiff').Create('E:/test/rasterise/mynewraster.tif',ncols,
nrows, 1 ,gdal.GDT_Byte)
dst_rb = dst_ds.GetRasterBand(0)
dst_ds.SetGeoTransform(geotransform)
output = gdal.RasterizeLayer(dst_ds)