[gdal-dev] Building from source excluding some packages

kedardeshpande87 kedardeshpande87 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:50:32 PDT 2012

Thanks Paolo,

I tried building it with minimal options as you suggested. The source builds
successfully, but when I try to use the library by making a call, I am
getting an error in libgdal.so file saying some symbol not found. I am using
swig java bindings.
I get the following error:

UnsatisfiedLinkError: .../build/lib/libogrjni.so:
.../gdal/build/.libs/libgdal.so.1 undefined symbol <symbol_name>

It finds the required .so files in java.library.path but the libgdal.so.1
file does not contain the symbol because we excluded some parts of source
while building.

For example, when I provide --without-jpeg option while configuring, I get
the error undefined symbol 'jpeg_resync_to_restart'.
For some other format I exclude, I get the same error for some other symbol
from that package.

So, specifying the --without-PACKAGE option builds the code but some of the
references are still pointing nowhere because the package was excluded. and
I am getting an exception at runtime.

Can you please let me know how do I resolve this ?

Thanks!
Kedar