[gdal-dev] Basic OpenStreetMap driver with ReadOSM?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Jul 7 04:34:53 PDT 2012

> Parsing relations must be pretty
> difficult, at least with polygons and therefore I was thinking that by
> using the ReadOSM library the responsibility about doing it right could be
> left to ReadOSM developer.

My understanding of the ReadOSM API is that it is "just" a low level API that
exposes the raw OSM structure to applications wanting to use it. It will not
build geometries for example. For ways, it will report an array of node ids,
which you have to fetch by other means to build the corresponding linestring.