[gdal-dev] installing debian GDAL version >= 1.9

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Jul 12 08:19:58 PDT 2012

Selon Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>, INVALID_ADDRESS at .SYNTAX-ERROR.:

> Tom Roche Thu Jul 12 06:41:04 PDT 2012
> >> me at it:/tmp/gdal$ dget --build
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gdal/gdal_1.9.0-3.dsc
> >> ... much, much later ...
> Permission denied
> Permission denied
>
> Etienne Tourigny Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:59:09 -0300
> > Isn't there a debian repository (debiangis) that provides gdal-1.9
>
> Yes, but that wants me to update libfontconfig1, which has major
> reverse depends: see
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2012-July/033366.html

You could download the stock GDAL source code and compile it. If you want to
build the python bindings without having root access, you can do :

./configure any-needed-option
make
cd swig/python
python setup.py build

and set the PYTHONPATH environmenet variable to point to the generated
swig/python/build/libXXXXX directory

You will also need to define the GDAL_DATA and adjust the PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the appropriate paths.

As a GDAL developer, this is how I do in order to have many GDAL versions in
parallel, without messing up with /usr or /usr/local