[gdal-dev] Temporal statistics

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 07:19:09 PDT 2012

Provided you can convert the format to netcdf, you could use a tool
like cdo which does exactly what you want

"CDO is a collection of command line Operators to manipulate and
analyse Climate and NWP model Data."
https://code.zmaw.de/projects/cdo/

gdal supports netcdf output, you might have to do some fixing up of
the time axes though.

Basically I would do

- loop on each file:
 - convert to netcdf
 - set the time axis with cdo settime <def>
- merge all files: cdo mergetime <infiles> outfile.nc
- operate on the resulting file with cdo operators (cdo timmean, cdo
timmax, etc)

Cheers
Etienne