[gdal-dev] bigtiff support maybe not working

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Jul 17 01:20:30 PDT 2012

Selon Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > now I'm trying with:
> >
> > CACHE="--config GDAL_CACHEMAX 8000 -wm 2000"
> > gdalwarp $CACHE -srcnodata -9999 -dstnodata -9999 -r bilinear -tr $RES
> > $RES $LIST mosaik_$RES.tif -co TILED=YES
> >

> > It is taking long, of course, but somehow it is working and I don't get
> > error, so I have good expectations.. I'll keep you posted about the results
> > :-)
> >

> Actually it is taking forever.. after one day it only processed a dozen of
> tiles.. any hint to try to speed up the process? Otherwise I will need ages
> to get my job done :-)

You could just remove the tweaking done with GDAL_CACHEMAX and -wm and leave
them to their default values. In my experience, a so big value for GDAL_CACHEMAX
is of no use (no need to use more than 500 MB), and when merging a lot of small
rasters into a big one, a high value for -wm can severely decrease performance
(see the link I posted yesterday). If all your tiles are of the same resolution,
you could also remove -r bilinear.

Or if your tiles are in the same projection, just use gdalbuildvrt to create a
virtual mosaic. That should take only a few seconds to run.