[gdal-dev] New OGR driver to read OpenStreetMap .osm / .pbf files

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jul 18 15:57:03 PDT 2012

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Following the recent brainstorming with Jukka, I've pushed into trunk a driver
> to read OpenStreetMap .osm / .pbf files .
>
> Testing with larger areas, like whole France or Europe, shows sluggish
> performance when ways are built from nodes, but that's perhaps expected. I
> didn't compare with other tools to know if the indexing or request strategy is
> particularly bad.

Windows 7, 64-bit, SATA disk and 2x3 GHz is converting Finland.osm.pbf in about
8 minutes for me. But execution time does not increase at all linearly.
Germany.osm.pbf is about 10 times larger in filesize but ogr2ogr had to work
about 8 hours with it, thus roughly 70 times longer. Obviously I would save 6
hours by splitting the German pbf file into 10 smaller ones, running ogr2ogr ten
times and combining results with ogrtileindex for use with Mapserver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-